Participation for Schools
Fill out the form below and return by email to Stefanie. You may a mail check to Music-COMP, PO Box 318 Waterbury, VT 05676 or we can invoice you via paypal. All Students must return the Mentoring Permission Form with a parent/guardian signature before posting works in our password-protected online mentoring website.
Benefits of participation:
Payment of fees as listed above provides participation and benefits to the students and teachers in the following Music-COMP activities:
- The ability to connect your students with professional composer mentors. Our mentor pool includes composers from VT and across the country that are amazing musicians and dedicated educators. Their work spans a variety of genres, from contemporary classical to jazz, to electronic music.
- Live performance opportunities with professional musicians and local ensembles. In addition to our annual state-wide Opus concert where we premiere 25-30 new works from students in grades 3-12, we also have a number of partnerships with different organizations. Our students work with the Vermont Symphony, Vermont Philharmonic, TURNmusic, Vermont Youth Orchestra, Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival, and more!
- Our students are regularly heard on VPR classical as part of their Student Composer Showcase.
- Opportunities for workshops with visiting composers. In the past, these have included Grammy-winning composer Joan Tower and David Ludwig, composition teacher and Dean of Artistic Programs at the Curtis Institute of Music.
- Curriculum and technical support for all your creative and composition activities in the classroom, as well as an option to have a visit from one of our professional composer mentors and our Director of Education.
- Resources for composition developed over the past 25 years by Music-COMP
- Your membership allows you to take advantage of all the Music-COMP resources and help your students realize their musical creativity. This can take many forms, from participation in Opus, to independent projects, to individual students who need feedback on their compositions from professional composers, to composition projects in your AP theory class, plus standards-aligned lessons and materials. We're here to help!
Responsibilities of participating teachers:
- If utilizing online mentoring, collect parent consent form for student participation and send to Music-COMP. Observe help facilitate students posting to online mentoring (if needed).
- Monitor your students as they post compositions, revisions, and comments.
- Keep current with the activities of the project through our various communication tools: newsletters, e-mail, and our Music-COMP Facebook page.
INDIVIDUAL SCHOOL/TEACHER MEMBERSHIP RATES:
- $75 basic yearly membership fee. This is a per-school fee. Contact email@example.com if you are a part-time teacher or teach in more than one school to discuss membership rates.
- 2-5 Schools $125
- 6+ Schools $200
- Level I (Grades 2-5): $20 per composition.
- Level II (Grades 6-8): $30 per composition.
- Level III (Grades 9-12):$40 per composition.
- Custom mentoring is available for special projects and particular school needs. Rates to be determined based on requirements.