March 24th, 2020 at Elley Long Music Center
Rehearsals begin at 1PM, Free Concert at 6:30PM
We are very excited to announce that our 35th annual Opus concert will be held in Burlington on March 24th, 2019! Young composers are paired with professional composers as they create an original piece of music, which is then premiered by the best musicians in Vermont to hundreds of friends, family and community members. First postings may be added to the Music-COMP website any time between November 10th and December 10th. Remember, your first posting only needs to include a few measures of music and a description about what you want to write! You will be able to compose your music over the following months under the guidance of your mentor.
This can be a truly life changing experience for young people, and each Opus concert reminds us the creativity held by the next generation of musicians. It's an amazing opportunity that you don't want your children or students to miss!
Opus 35 Resources for Composers and Teachers
- Brass Quintet (2 Trumpets, French Horn, Trombone, Tuba)
- Voice (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass)
- Saxophone (1 Player - Baritone, Tenor or Alto)
- Percussion (2 performers, including all mallet instruments as well as a drum set)
- November 10th - December 15th: FIRST POSTING SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED ON OUR WEBSITE
- Friday, February 28th: FINAL POSTING DUE
- Monday, March 2nd: SELECTED WORKS ANNOUNCED
- Wednesday, March 11th: SCORE PREPARATION FOR SELECTED WORKS DUE
- Tuesday, March 24th: OPUS 35 AT ELLEY LONG MUSIC CENTER
- There is no prior composition experience necessary! Each and every student in grades 3-12 who submits for Opus 35 will be paired with a professional composer as their mentor while they create a new work.
- Works can be written for any combination of the available instrumentation
- All works for Opus 35 must be submitted for online mentoring and undergo at least two revisions throughout the writing process
- First postings may be as short as 4 measures! Much of the work will happen over the course of a few months as the young composers work with their mentor
Selected works will be performed by the best musicians in Vermont, and young composers will be able to work directly with the performers to make their music come to life!
If you are new to Music-COMP and Opus, please feel free to reach out directly with questions you may have and to see how your children or students can participate.
Questions? Contact Director Matt LaRocca at firstname.lastname@example.org