We are very excited to announce that our 34th Opus concert will be held in Montpelier at the Vermont College of Fine Arts on March 26th! Young composers are paired with professional composers as they create an original piece of music, which is then premiered by the best musicians in Vermont to hundreds of friends, family and community members.
This can be a truly life changing experience for young people, and each Opus concert reminds us the creativity held by the next generation of musicians. It's an amazing opportunity that you don't want your children or students to miss!
Strings (2 violins, viola, cello, bass)
Winds (flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon)
- Thursday, February 28th: FINAL POSTING DUE
- Monday, March 4th: SELECTED WORKS ANNOUNCED
- Tuesday, March 13th: SCORE PREPARATIONS FOR SELECTED WORKS DUE
- Tuesday, March 26th: OPUS 34 AT THE VERMONT COLLEGE OF FINE ARTS
• There is no prior composition experience necessary! Each and every student in grades 3-12 who submits for Opus 34 will be paired with a professional composer as their mentor while they create a new work.
• Works can be written for any combination of the available instrumentation.
• All works for Opus 34 must be submitted for online mentoring and undergo at least two revisions throughout the writing process.
• First drafts may be as short as 4 measures! Much of the work will happen over the course of a few months as the young composers work with their mentor.
• Selected works will be performed by the best musicians in Vermont, and young composers will be able to work directly with the performers to make their music come to life!
If you are new to Music-COMP and Opus, please feel free to reach out directly with questions you may have and to see how your children or students can participate.
Questions? Contact Director Matt LaRocca at email@example.com