Welcome to Music-COMP, Music Composition Online Mentoring Program. Our mission is to serve students in composition through online mentoring with professional composers and live performances of student work. We provide teachers with professional development through workshops, courses and online training. Music-COMP also develops and shares resources in composition.
Next up for live performance is Opus 29, sponsored by Music-COMP. Professional musicians will perform about 20 selected works from student submissions to our online mentoring website. The first ideas must be posted to the online mentoring site no later than midnight on Thursday, October 9th. Opus 29 is for brass, percussion, piano and voice. Students may select from one or several of those instruments and voice available. See this info sheet for all the details.
Dates to Remember:
- October 9th - First postings must be posted in the online mentoring website. Initial ideas only, not expecting completed works at first posting.
- November 20th - Students update Profile with a bio suitable for print and update the Complete Description of the work.
- December 4th - Final posting. All mentors will review the works and select their choices for the Opus 29 performance.
- December 8th - Announcement of selected works for the performance
- December 16th - Dinner reservations for family members and guests.
- December 18th - Score preparations for performance complete. Music-COMP mails scores to performers. Students review website and make slight revisions to bio and/or Full Description of the work with info suitable for the print program.
- CONCERT - January 12, 2015 at Elley-Long Music Center at Saint Michael's College, Colchester VT. SNOW DATE - January 14th
Watch for NEW resource: podcast on writing for piano.
We'll also post score templates for percussion.
We celebrate the past and current achievements of 25 of our alumni. The impetus to reflect with them came as we prepared for Opus 25 held on January 7, 2013. Read their thoughts on participating in Music-COMP, find out what each is doing now, and hear some of their early works.
Periodically, we'll highlight one or two of our alumni. August's Vermont Public Radio Student Showcase Alumni Feature highlighted Matt Podd. We've included Matt's 25for25 alumni page below as well as his twin brother Adam who is also mentioned in the broadcast.
Link to the Vermont Public Radio Classical's feature.
Matt's alumni page and early recordings.
Adam's alumni page and early recordings.
Link to the full publication featuring all 25 alumni or click image.
Featured Alumni and Hometowns:
|Alan Beaudry||Derby VT|
|Eve Boltax||Montpelier VT|
|Leon Campos||Greensboro VT|
|Eli Chalmers||Montpelier VT|
|Hannah Chambers||Derby Line VT|
|Nicolas Chlebak||Springfield VT|
|Bob Couture||Westfield VT|
|Andy Gagnon||Hardwick VT|
|Colin Gliech||Burlington VT|
|Benji Goldsmith||New York NY|
|Josh Clinger||Lowell VT|
|Christina Koller||Bridport VT|
|Mavis McNeil||Greensboro VT|
|Joshua Morris||St. Albans VT|
|Morgan Moscati||Falls Church VA|
|Holly Mugford||Randolph VT|
|Adam Podd||Newport VT|
|Matt Podd||Newport VT|
|Kyle Quirion||Holland VT|
|Sam Schiavone||Greensboro VT|
|Moxie Schults||Norwich VT|
|Zach Sheets||Norwich VT|
|Rachael Sherman||Montpelier VT|
|Emily Vigne||Monkton VT|
|Sylvia Woodmansee||Westfield VT|